Friday, March 21, 2008

Beautiful Soup

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup from Scratch

This started with a rotisserie chicken I bought at the grocery store.  After we had eaten all the meat off of it that we wanted (just the breast, really), I proceeded to boil the rest of the bird in a dutch oven for several hours.  I kept intending to add carrots, celery and onion to the pot while it was boiling at this point, but was distracted by many things.  

Anyway, about an hour before I wanted to serve it, I strained the broth.  I then let it cool enough to skim the fat off the top.  While it was cooling I sliced carrots, celery, onion and fennel into a pot.  I added the skimmed broth, some water and a half of a bouillon cube and returned it to a simmer.  I put in some diced chicken breast, fresh thyme, a little salt and fresh noodles.  After the noodles were done cooking, I turned the heat to low and added a little fresh cream.  For the finishing, I sprinkles some chopped celery leaves.  Very beautiful and delicious!

The reason I was inspired to make this soup is because both my daughter and husband are on antibiotics!  We don't know for sure, but since one of my daughter's friends was recently diagnosed with micoplasma (walking pneumonia), and this is highly contagious, it seemed like they might have it, too.  Fun, fun, negative fun.

1 comment:

Melody Johnson said...

I think it's funny that we both made chicken soup today. Mine had white and wild rice in it, and then I added a bag of frozen mixed veggies. Pretty good, on a cold day like today.