Tuesday, August 26, 2008

DRINK MORE WATER

I once saw a girl walking around on Orchard Road here in Singapore, wearing a t-shirt with the above caption on it. The funny thing was that I saw her a few days after returning from a stay at my sister's house, where I was encouraged to drink more water nearly everyday. I wish I had listened.
If you think you drink enough water everyday, drink more.  You probably don't drink enough.
Roughly 80% of all kidney stone cases here in Singapore are caused by dehydration.  Or so my urologist informed me yesterday.  I drink at least 2 cups of tea every morning.  And I have milk or water or something with every meal.  But apparently, that isn't enough.
I was told that I need to take 2.5 litres of fluid everyday.  This is after I had been diagnosed as having kidney stones.  It doesn't have to be all water, I was assured.  It could be tea or coffee or soup or whatever.  But, for now, I'm to stay away from caffeine.
Trust me when I say you do not want to develop kidney stones.  
So, go and have a glass of water or two.  Drink it cold or warm, like they do here in Asia.  Whatever.  Drink, drink, drink.

1 comment:

Cindra said...

I mix those little packets of green tea (raspberry) or mango with some emergenC and put it in about 24 oz of water and it makes the water go down fast and healthy!