Monday, November 3, 2008

The Next Bit


Well, after I finished the first section, I felt that the second section needed a difference more than just scale. Too much of the same color scheme in a quilt bores me, I guess. So I decided to make it more about pink and green, with a little yellow.

I was really stymied over the weekend trying to figure out what I was going to do next. I discussed the options with my sister, and she reminded me, "it's only fabric." I'm so glad to have that reminder sometimes. So I went ahead and made this next bit, and it just came together like pie.

When Timothy Botts was here last year, I bought a print from him that says:

"The freedom to fail is the essence of creativity (just as the prevention of failure is the essence of conservatism). The creative act must be uninhibited and marked by supreme confidence. There can be no fear of failure. Nothing inhibits so fiercely, or shrinks a vision so drastically, or pulls a dream to earth so swiftly as fear of failure. Albert J Sullivan"

For me, there has to be an element of play in creativity. That means, also, no fear of failure. Just do it, maybe it wont work, but that's no reason not to try.



And so, I move onto the next part of the quilt, and I intend to have fun!

4 comments:

Melody Johnson said...

Good thinkin' and sage advice to share with all creative folks. Thank you.

Kristin said...

Hi Brooke,

I found your blog via your sister Melody's blog. I love your work also - especially the turtle and hand pieces. I think this new piece will be very interesting. I love the big section with the big circles. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Kristin in SC

Akiko said...

I like the choice of your colors. They are beautiful. I want to see the same design in different color tone as well. That might give totally different impression of this quilt.

Gari in AL said...

I love your work. Although I really enjoy quilting, and I don't like following someone else's pattern, I can't think as creatively as you. But I really love what you do and thank you for letting us/me see into your creative process.