Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Monday in England

First of all, a correction to yesterday's post: the picture of my daughter in her new fleece jacket wasn't taken at Buckingham, it was taken in Bath. Oops. Too many pictures.

Anyway, on Monday morning, our host drove us over to a nearby Enterprise Rent a Car where we picked up a Ford Fiesta. Which I drove. For the first time in almost 3 years, I was behind the wheel again. On the wrong side of the car, driving on the wrong side of the street. And in a country where the extremely narrow roads don't run straight and every intersection is a roundabout.
Wheeeee!
Naturally, we immediately got lost and wound up in terrible traffic in downtown London. I saw Picadilly Circus from a whole new vantage point - twice. But eventually we figured out how to escape (and I thought LA traffic was bad!) and made our way southwest towards Bath.

Our lodgings for the next two nights was a bed and breakfast called Cleeve House in a town called Seend.

I can't recommend this place too highly. I loved it there. I would go back in a minute.


There's the little silver car I drove all over England.


And the cows in the pasture behind the house. We went to visit them, and after calling "moo!" to them for several minutes to no avail, my daughter started calling them like Ellen Degeneres in Finding Nemo, when she is speaking to the whale. Well, the cows found that irresistible and came trotting over to see us.


The view from the library onto the terrace.


The front door. Very inviting, no?



And the view from our room.

Well, we got there in the late afternoon, put our things away and explored for a while. When it was time to eat, we went to a pub called The Barge Inn - which was suggested by the b&b. It was so good! English food is vastly underrated, as far as I'm concerned.
My daughter and I shared a crock of cream of broccoli soup and a bread board with 3 different rustic breads and a small pot of pesto sauce. My husband had risotto with asparagus. It was just delightful.

We retired at a conservative time, altho it was still dark out! and thus ended our fourth day in England. Sigh.

No comments: